We are one of the largest specialist mental health and learning disabilities trusts in the country, with an annual income of £320m and a workforce of some 6,700 staff operating from around 100 sites in Durham, Teesside, North Yorkshire and York and Selby. We provide a range inpatient and community services to 2m people living in County Durham, the Tees Valley, Scarborough, Whitby, Ryedale, Harrogate, Hambleton and Richmondshire. We also provide additional specialist services to other parts of Northern England.
We deliver our services by working in partnership with eight local authorities and clinical commissioning groups, a wide range of voluntary organisations, as well as service users, their carers and the public. The services are spread over a wide geographical area of around 3,600 square miles, which includes coastal, rural and industrial areas.
We are a multi-award winning trust and are included within the Health Service Journal’s Best 100 Places to Work. The trust take a positive and proactive approach to support staff in their personal development and has embedded the Talent Management approach within the Trust, with the vision of helping people to be as good as they can be, helping TEWV to do things better.
A new and exciting opportunity has arisen for a permanent Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Employment Advisor covering the following area
Harrogate and Ripon
The IPS employment model is internationally recognised as the most effective way to support people with mental health problems to gain and keep paid employment. It is based on over 20 years of research.
The IPS worker will be working with people who have a mental illness and support them into competitive employment and then enabling them to retain that employment. As an IPS worker you will be looking for paid employment opportunities for clients who are currently involved with secondary care adult mental health services. This will involve developing opportunities with local employers and supporting them as well as the client, to ensure the right person is in the right job.
You will support clients with job searching, completing CV's and application forms and interview preparation. Working with our clients, you will liaise and signpost to a range of employment and training programmes within the local area, to include Job Centre Plus.
Developing your knowledge and networks of employment related support services and inclusive employers within the local area is essential to this role. Employment opportunities would include those within TEWV itself.
- To independently manage a caseload of up to 25 people using TEWV secondary care mental health services and who wish to gain paid employment using the Individual Placement and Support Model, aiming for fidelity to this model.
- The EA work will be led by and focused on the aspirations of the service user. Considering their strengths, difficulties and employment assets in order to offer the most effective support.
- Match job tasks, the individual’s ability to do the job, and any work solutions that may be required to develop the match.
- Provide help to find the right job and provide advice and support on training and also how to prepare for employer interviews, this may include help with benefits, transport to work, use of in employment personal assistants, addressing their health at work.
- Offer the person support agreeing a written action plan with the person detailing the steps to be taken to gain paid employment and the appropriate support route. Need to include abilities, work solutions, preparation for work, disclosure. The action plan should also be SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time bound).
- A degree in a relevant area or Equivalent experience in employment advice or mental health.
- Significant experience of providing vocational/employment support.
- An understanding of the principles and practice of the Individual Placement and Support Model.
- A working knowledge of a broad range of jobs/occupations.
- A good understanding of return to work planning.
- Awareness of the secondary effects on the individual that could be caused by their mental
The above list of responsibilities and personal criteria is not exhaustive please see the job description and personal specification for more detail.