The Senior Employment Specialist will manage a team of Employment Specialists providing supervision, training, caseload management, and role modelling of the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) approach, as part of a recovery plan for mental health service users. The Senior Employment Specialist will provide a pivotal role in managing a high-quality service that meets fidelity standards and delivers positive outcomes for service users.
The post holder will work face-to-face with clients, managing a 50% caseload, who have mental health support needs and who are unemployed to assist them in securing sustainable paid employment in line with their preferences. Clients will be referred into the service via the Lancashire and South Cumbria Early Intervention in Psychosis (EIP) teams.
To deliver the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Approach providing person centred advice and guidance to clients, whilst building positive relationships with employers to enable clients to move into suitable employment.
To be part of a community mental health team, maintaining positive and integrated relationships, fostering a holistic approach to recovery through employment.
- To manage a high quality service that adheres to the principles of IPS best practice.
- Monitor and manage performance of the IPS Employment Specialists – guide them individually on best practice and achieving individual and team job outcome targets.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Identify training needs of staff and arrange appropriate training to support with continuous professional development.
- Support the design and delivery of in-house staff training and development (including facilitating peer learning and best practice).
- Involve service users in co-production of service developments where possible.
- Coordinate the work of Employment Specialists in Lancashire in relation to building relationships with employers to effectively access the hidden labour market, external agencies and delivery of job seeking groups.
- Produce regular monitoring reports for internal and external stakeholders, including commissioners.
- Manage a caseload of service users.
- Identify barriers for service excellence and work with internal and external stakeholders to implement solutions to ensure a high-fidelity service.
- Responsible for marketing and profiling the service for the team. This includes delivering the communications strategy, collecting and promoting employment recovery stories etc.
- NVQ Level 3 in Advice and Guidance or other relevant qualification
- Supervisory qualification e.g. ILM Level 3
- Trained in IPS approach
- Provide strong direction and develop others to achieve. Manage and guide the team, showing how success can be achieved. Set an example for others to follow through own caseload management
- A real passion for people, to empower, motivate, support and advise customers and team
- Excellent motivational, communication and listening skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build rapport with a range of people
- Ability to model recovery focused practice including co-production
- Ability to build close, trusting and productive relationships with people
- Team orientated and works collaboratively within a mixed-disciplinary team
- Ability to work independently and use initiative to develop and promote a service
- An ability to manage self and others
- Confidence in all areas of numeracy, literacy and IT skills as required for the role
- Substantial knowledge of disability issues, policies and legislation in relation to employment
- Understanding of the principles and practice of supported employment
- Knowledge of a broad range of occupations and jobs
- Understanding of the IPS employment model and experience of supporting staff using this employment support technique
- An understanding of the employment needs, and challenges faced by people who experience mental health difficulties
- Considerable knowledge of a broad range of occupations and jobs
- Understanding the importance of confidentiality and data protection legislation
- Knowledge of the benefits agency and all disability/ employment related benefits
- Proven ability to source suitable job opportunities through employer engagement activity.