The opportunity to change minds. The power to change lives.
As an Employment Specialist, you’ll play a vital role in helping people with mental health support needs on their recovery journey. This is an opportunity to offer hands-on support, to give people the tools they need to recover and ultimately, to transform lives.
It calls for a combination of skills: the ability to empathise with clients; the resilience and determination to seek out job opportunities; the communication skills to engage employers and change perceptions around mental health.
As part of a clinical team, you’ll have a range of responsibilities, including:
- Regularly meeting with clients to listen, offer support, help them Identify their best job match, reflecting their skills and aspirations
- Producing an Action Plan for each client to help them gain and sustain paid employment, including helping them with their job search, CV production, interview techniques and career development
- Supporting clients with managing their health at work, with input from the wider health team
- Assessing each client’s work-related support needs, offering benefits or welfare advice and helping them develop a personal Information Plan to support any discussions with their employer and colleagues
- Sourcing job opportunities for clients through job searching as well as through regular contact with employers
- Educating and supporting employers, including negotiating workplace adjustments, developing a return-to-work strategy and ensuring job retention with ongoing contact
- Developing collaborative working relationships with the wider clinical team and promoting the IPS model as a positive step in the recovery journey
Who we’re looking for
We welcome people from a range of backgrounds and with all kinds of life experience, but here’s what we’d like you to have:
- Experience or an understanding of working with people with mental health support needs, or similar groups
- Experience of working with people on a one-to-one basis, offering motivation and support
- Empathy with those with mental health support needs
- The ability to build good relationships with a range of different people, from employers to clients
- The ability to manage multiple tasks at once
- A passion for making a difference to peoples’ lives
- A degree-level education, or equivalent career experience
Why join us?
As an Employment Specialist, you’re not just transforming the lives of the people you work with, you’re also creating a fairer and more inclusive society. You’ll join a passionate, driven team and receive the training and support you need to advance your career in a rewarding, diverse and fast-moving environment.
You’ll find all the current IPS vacancies here. If you’ve got any questions about the role, feel free to email us at and we’ll be happy to discuss it with you.
could you change a life?
Hear from some of the Employment Specialists to find out what ‘a day in the life of an Employment Specialist’ is like